Review – Agenda – Digital Growth Unleashed London 2017
etc.venues, 200 Aldersgate, 11-12 October, 2017
Digital Growth Unleashed - London - Day 1 - Wednesday, October 11th, 2017
- Scaling a Testing Culture
- Complex topics explained through simple stories
- If you run A/B tests for conversion optimisation, this session is for you
Lukas Vermeer works for a company that runs more than a thousand experiments every day. He is responsible for the internal tooling and training that helps product development improve the customer experience in measurable steps. In this session, Lukas will share some „statistical stories“ that have helped scale their testing culture. Complex topics, such as early stopping rules; false positives and false negatives; sample ratio mismatch; and selective attrition, are all explained through simple stories that can help anyone understand their test results better. If you run A/B tests for conversion optimisation, this session is for you.
- How to extract useful data from almost any site - with minimal time and effort
- Learn what you need to model and automate discovery work
- With downloadable reports, templates and guides
In this session, Craig will show you how he does modelling of sites using Google Analytics - to find out where there are latent opportunities in the flow of visitors and delight. Using a range of API tools, google analytics reports, segments, sketching and modelling techniques, he'll show you how to extract useful data from almost any site - with minimal time and effort. Craig is sharing these useful Google Analytics hacks for the first time as he walks you through the mixture of techniques he uses to isolate site blockages. In this session, you'll learn what you need to model and automate discovery work, leaving you more much more time to actually grow the business. With downloadable reports, templates and guides, you'll have everything you need to get started tomorrow!
- Growth comes from a mix of behavioural psychology, coding, creative marketing and data analysis
- Any size company can avail of the already available tools out there to achieve growthl
- Learnings, tools, tactics and techniques to start a successful Growth Marketing journey
Growth comes from a mix of behavioural psychology, coding, creative marketing and data analysis. Having spent the last couple of years building, coaching and training regiments of growth teams and growth marketers, in this talk I'll run you through some of the latest stories, learnings and tricks I've learned along the way. A brief but information-packed masterclass covering the learnings, tools, tactic and tricks that will start you on your Growth Marketing journey.
- How a full stack marketer has evolved to become a highly technical, creative and execution focussed Swiss army knife
- How to give companies the edge by wearing many hats
- How to utilise a wide range of CRO techniques to improve campaigns with practical examples and takeaways
Depesh started his career as a developer, fell into CRO, and is now a full stack marketer. In this session, he'll talk about his experience of how full stack marketers have evolved to become highly technical, creative and execution focussed Swiss army knives, capable of running high performance awareness, acquisition and retention campaigns. Full stack marketers are giving companies the edge by wearing many hats with a relentless focus on results across the customer journey. Learn how full stack marketers utilise a wide range of CRO techniques to improve campaigns with practical examples and takeaways.
- Companies need to iron out potential issues before they start optimizing
- Functionality testing is the key, but done by very few companies
- Instead of buggy test, that create inaccurate results, functionality testing helps to unearth hidden revenue
Whilst we are all busy optimizing away, we are missing a fundamental key to the puzzle: we are not functionality testing (ie bug hunting) the very websites we are optimising. Instead of releasing buggy tests that are harming our data and creating results that are not accurate, we can unearth hidden revenue by fixing functional issues for what is already there. It’s a simple simple process and we do not only find money but we also create a better website to build our tests on by ironing out potential issues before we start. In this session Abi will illustrate the process of functionality testing a website and give you examples of why functionality testing is so important.
- Copy is one of the biggest needle movers in split tests
- How to approach copy at every stage of the customer journey
- Underlying theories and techniques, including purchasing decision hierarchy, biases and embedded commands
Some of the biggest needle movers in split tests are down to copy alone. Words are powerful and neuroscience research has given CRO copywriters even more tools to persuade web visitors to act. Find out how Mel Henson, one of the UK’s leading CRO copywriters approaches copy at every stage of the customer journey. Illustrated with numerous before and after and after examples, Mel not only shows the words that got results but also explains the underlying theories and techniques, including purchasing decision hierarchy, biases and embedded commands.
- Why you should treat your web site and your first date in the same way
- 10 universal but often forgotten conversion principles
- Tips you can use for both conversion optimization and dating
There are many parallels between how you should treat your web site and your first date. At least: if you want them to end in a successful relationship. Build around 10 universal but often forgotten conversion principles, Karl shares lots of cases that illustrate how you can sell more and convince your visitors with these principles. He shows the data and how he came up with those ideas. Yes, you can use these tips for dating too. But be aware: Karl is a user research and conversion specialist. Not a dating expert.
- Fourteen elements that the world's winning websites get right
- Identifying which of your “cylinders” isn't firing
- Tips for growing businesses of all sizes
Based on ten years of research, Dr Karl Blanks has identified fourteen elements that the world's winning websites get right. If you're looking to massively grow your sales, your biggest opportunity comes from identifying which of your “cylinders” isn't firing. Contains lots of tips for growing businesses of all sizes.
- Understand the opportunities – and challenges – of personalisation
- Learn how to structure your personalisation programme
- See how personalisation can drive advanced experimentation
Personalisation is emerging as the next big opportunity in conversion optimisation and is high on the to-do list of marketers everywhere. Personalisation adds more layers of complexity to conversion optimisation but with it comes the potential for impressive uplifts and a much deeper understanding of your users. In this session, Kyle will share a framework and approach to personalisation that puts experimentation at the heart of personalisation strategy. You’ll learn about the opportunities and challenges of personalisation, explore a framework for managing personalisation strategy, and gain insight into how personalisation can drive value through experimentation and conversion optimisation.
- Lovehoney's approach to optimising for user segments
- How to use experience maps to build a picture of real users
- Plotting the pain points and opportunities, using research analysis to form hypotheses and tests
Matthew from Lovehoney and freelance UX consultant Jesmond will share their approach to optimising for user segments. They’ll walk through their end-to-end approach: documenting business knowledge and assumptions, using qualitative research to build a user experience map, and using that map to translate opportunities and pain points into hypotheses and tests.
- Business of all sizes struggle with the implementation and scaling of experimentation
- How to augment experimentation within a business
- Driving a data-focussed culture to deliver a competitive edge
The value of experimentation is well known, and yet the implementation and scaling of experimentation from niche to pervasive is frequently a stumbling block and an area that business of all sizes struggle in. Colin McFarland, Head of Experimentation at Skyscanner, led the global travel search business from small-scale experimentation to a state where the practice is ingrained, with hundreds of experiments undertaken each month.
This talk will give practical steering in how to augment experimentation within a business, looking at the case for causality, common pitfalls to avoid, the importance of building tooling and education, and driving the data-focussed culture that is so essential in delivering a competitive edge.
Digital Growth Unleashed - London - Day 2 - Thursday, October 12th, 2017
- The Impact of new technology and big data turned
- The Meaning for marketers who are analysing data, gathering insights and making prediction
- How do we distinguish between the results and data we can trust from that we should ignore
At a time of such political uncertainty and such phenomenal access to information, how should we best make decisions for our future? How has the impact of things like new technology and big data turned the world upside down? What does that mean for marketers who are analysing data, gathering insights and making predictions? In the aftermath of Brexit and as we move forward to unknown times how do we distinguish between the results and data we can trust from that we should ignore? Joe will give you the answers to these questions form the data perspective.
- Most businesses are a long way off developing a mature, strategic approach to conversion optimisation
- The four pillars of conversion optimisation maturity and areas you need to focus on
- Becoming customer led and developing a growth mindset, just like Amazon
"Most if not all businesses are now “doing” conversion optimisation and are running A/B tests. There is a testing tool in place, there are lots of ideas for testing, and testing is well underway. However the harsh reality is, that most businesses are typically a long way off developing a mature, strategic approach to conversion optimisation. In this session Paul Rouke will outline the four pillars of conversion optimisation maturity, and the most important areas you need to focus on to mature your business - whilst simultaneously becoming customer led and developing a growth mindset, just like Amazon.
- Judging how much or how little localisation is needed
- Process for understanding customers providing relevant and highly converting content
- Successful and less successful examples
When expanding globally the greatest conversion challenge is how far to go to generate maximum return addressing questions such as: Localise web pages or use English? How to research and understand target customers Accommodating cultural norms into web pages? Risks of comparing analytics between countries? Accommodating payment methods? Taking account of device use by country? In this session Andy will consider the process to judge how much or how little localisation is needed and the process for understanding customers providing relevant and highly converting content. Successful and less successful examples will be presented and we will also map the world in terms of degree of localisation needed for successful conversion.
- How to use testing to improve your product strategy
- Tracing the product lifecycle from conception to launch
- Big red button test, minimum viable product and AB test
Rohit and Ian from Secret Escapes will share how testing is being used in product development. They'll trace the product lifecycle from conception to launch, talking through the initial idea, the big red button test, minimum viable product and AB test. You'll come away knowing how testing can be used not just to improve your website – but how it can improve your product strategy too.
- Analyse macro and micro level data
- How to gain a real understanding who your visitors are
- Learn about the different types of visitors and how they interact with your site and apps
Web analytics provide us with a wealth of data, but they don't easily reveal who the visitors really are, how they really behave and what they think about our products and services. In this session, Charles will focus on how you can collect and analyse both macro and micro level data about your visitors using relevant practical examples and case studies. This will allow you to build up a far greater understanding of the different types of visitors and how they interact with your site and apps.
- Leverage the testing of your emails to improve the performance of your other marketing acquisition and conversion channels
- Learn how to build hypothesis into your emails, drive the actions that provide the answers you're looking for and much more
- See how to test for long-term results as well as short-term results
You create and send regular emails to your database as part of your marketing channel mix. You no doubt run tests on what works best to improve your email marketing. But do you use your emails to test hypotheses that could inform and improve your other channels - such as PPC ads, website copy and page design, banner ads - to improve engagement and conversion rates? This is what we call Holistic Testing. Aimed at marketing professionals looking to push the power of their email marketing, this session reveals how to leverage the testing ability of your emails to improve the performance of your other marketing acquisition and conversion channels. Your email database contains the valuable opinion of prospects and customers already engaged in your brand. This session will be packed full of practical tips and advice on how to use your email channel as a testing ground to derive useful insights. In this session you will learn how to build a hypothesis into your emails, to drive the actions that provide the answers you're looking for, use a push channel such as email to inform and improve pull channel performance and test for long-term results as well as short-term results.
- How to get more conversions out of your existing CRM tools & processes
- Small changes in targeting that can lead to big improvements in performance
- Plus, top email marketing tips & examples that boost OR, CTR & CVR
More than ever, marketers are looking for new technology to drive growth – be it automation tools or a multi-channel, single view of the customer. But all too often, the resources & experience required to achieve this represents a barrier to enablement. That means marketers need to remain savvy and leverage their existing email marketing programme to break down those barriers and validate investment for the future. In this session, Robert Simons will share how Treatwell has developed their existing email marketing programme, where some small but creative changes have led to massive improvements in their growth.
- What does integrated marketing mean to CRO ninjas working in both search and social space
- 5 tactics to take action towards CRO lift
- FB PowerEditor import, illustrating the tactics via importable example Facebook Ads retargeting campaigns
Integrated Marketing” is all the buzzword bingo these days. But, what exactly does integrated marketing mean to CRO ninjas working in both search and social space. Join speaker Marty Weintraub for a no holds barred shredding session offering immediatly actionable tactics to: Curate segmented search and social audience data root lists from landing page touches; Apply search and social “Filters’ to retargeting/remarketing “Passes” to form true, layered conversion personas; Field creative segmentation to cement the conversion lift; Reverse engineer “Converted” audiences with VISIBLE Facebook lookalike modeling a technique you won’t see anywhere else; Expand root audiences with the most effective lookalike modeling possible for greater scale. This session will focus entirely on empowering marketers who use both Google and Facebook, to take action towards CRO lift with one or more of these five tactics. Marty will also share a conference-only leave behind FB PowerEditor import, illustrating the tactics via importable example Facebook Ads retargeting campaigns.
- Observations across the large scale experimentation efforts
- Counter intuitive ways to arrive at the wrong conclusion
- The importance of designing metrics for causality
Experimentation is all about causality, but getting causality right is easy to get wrong! In this talk, from observations across the large scale experimentation efforts at Skyscanner, Tom Oliver will highlight some counter intuitive ways to arrive at the wrong conclusion
- Dont' drown in numbers that don't help move the needle
- See what a great analytics strategy looks like in 2017
- Actionable tips, techniques and advice
So many tools out there, so much data now available - all making it easier to drown in numbers that don't help move the needle. So what does a great analytics strategy look like in 2017? In this talk, Andy shares actionable tips, techniques and advice from working on marketing and growth with 40+ companies across 500 Startups' portfolio.
- Actionable tips from experts
- Get your hypothesis checked
- Registered attendees can send in their suggestions